3/04/2012

Day is Done

I went home for my grandpa's funeral in February. I was grateful that I could be with family during this time. Although it is sad to lose him, he passed away under the best possible circumstances. He died in bed, at his own home, holding my grandma's hand. His obituary, written by one of his daughters, captures him. 

One of the things I most admire about my grandpa is how well-rounded he was. He was an outdoorsman who memorized poetry. He was a science lover who feared God. A tenor who boxed. He loved knowledge and had an insatiable curiosity. And he also loved to laugh. Although, I admit, I often missed the punchlines of his jokes because he would burst into a roaring laugh before finished telling it, I just had to laugh along with him just because his laugh was so terrific. I'll miss his company, but I know he is in a happier place free from his failing body and mind.


I took these pictures a little while after the funeral. Although we missed him, we were all happy to be able to celebrate his life together as the close family we are - and the close family he always wanted. 

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment